Faithful

Faithful - Janet Fox Out in the wildlife of the famous Yellowstone National Park in 1904, Maggie finds herself away from the comfort of her wealthy Newport life with all the parties, social appearances and friends. She’s placed on the adventure of her life with her father to find the secrets of her mother’s disappearance and whether she is still alive. Maggie finds way more information out in the wonders of Yellowstone like the history of her parents relationship, what was going on with her mother before she began going crazy and then disappeared and surprisingly love. The story is all about discovery and finding one true self in the face of the demands of others. When I first read the plot of the book I thought the book would be totally different than what it actually is. I didn’t realize that it was a historical book set in the nineteen hundreds and I thought the main focus would be more on the romance Maggie discovered with the handsome boy named Tom who she meets and instantly felt a connection to. As I read along I could feel some emotion between Tom and Maggie but not the burning hot passion that I crave. Like I said before the story really focuses on Maggie’s journey to find her mother and along the way she finds who she truly wants to be and who she wants to love. What I enjoyed the most about the story was Fox’s descriptions of Yellowstone. I’ve never been out west but reading Fox’s words I felt like I was out there experiencing the wildlife and wonders of Yellowstone as well. As for characterization I had a tug of war relationship with Maggie, in the beginning she really annoyed me with her views on life and her aspirations, making her seem very naive and self centered. At times I wanted her to focus more on what was going on with her family then her social life and what others thought of her. Although towards the end she redeemed herself in my eyes with seeing what was really important and standing up for herself and her dreams. I would have loved to learn more about Tom, his dreams and aspirations for his life. I felt that besides having more passion between them I would have liked to read more about their time together and their growing love. All in all I enjoyed reading the story though I couldn’t help waiting for something amazing to happen. The story did have it’s moments that had me very engaged flipping through the pages to see what Maggie would find out next about her mother and whether the feelings she had for Tom would grow to something more. I recommend this book to those who love a historical piece and a story about self discovery and mystery with a sprinkle of romance.