Manifest (Mystyx Series #1)

Manifest - Artist Arthur Everyone goes through struggles throughout their lives and its how we deal during those struggles that show us who we are. In Manifest we are introduced to Krystal Bentley who is not your average teenage girl. She has to deal with one of the hardest situations that could happen to a teenager, the separation of her parents and having to deal with their partners. On top of all that family drama she has to deal with a sexy Ricky Watson who, unfortunate for her, is dead and is recruiting her to find out who killed him. Krystal was a very straight forward girl not afraid to say what she felt except to her mother. Though Krystal was angry and in denial at what was going on in her life, I could surprisingly understand where she was coming from. Dealing with the breakup with no real explanation, ghosts, a new home, school & stepfather would make anyone angry. The plot was interesting and I liked how there was multiple situations going on with the story. With everything going on I was glad that she wasn't going through it alone, though reluctantly Krystal made friends with two unlikely kids at her school. Jake, the loner and Sasha the popular rich girl who surprisingly has powers of their own. Bringing them together in this mysterious journey that started way before they were born as well as unleashing an unknown evil. I enjoyed the added romance woven into all the supernatural, family drama and danger. I absolutely loved the diversity with the characters and how Arthur created a strong, realistic African American heroine who had faults but was able and willing to grow and mature into a better understanding person. I would have like going into more of the origins of the powers and more intensity within Krystal's romance. I would loved to have known more about Sacha and Jake's characters and can't wait for the continuation of the series. I felt that the story was a good read with lots of room to grow into a great series.